About Me

My photo
I'm turning 30 next year, trying to make some positive changes in my life and family to bring us back on the right path. I am a mother of four crazy beautiful kids, lucky wife to my computer geek husband, and I work full time. Quirky, Goofy, Creative, Bookworm, Wannabe Sewer, Striving for Zen, Dedicated to my family and Loyal to my friends, and just crazy enough to keep things interesting. That's me, more or less.

Thursday, February 17, 2011

No Pants

I don't know if it's the OCD gene from her father, her stubbornness from both of us, or just being a difficult toddler – but my 3 year old is insisting on going commando. She insists that all underwear give her "wedgies" and no amount of adjusting will convince her otherwise.

After weeks of trying new underwear, different pants, being firm with her, bribing her, and eventually pleading with her, my mom finally told me to just let it go. "Pick your battles honey, if its not going to hurt her, its probably not worth it. The more you push, the more she'll push back". She was right. But with Miss Bella, there are so many battles to choose from. My sweet baby girl is wonderful in hundreds of ways – she's smart, has a funny little sense of humor, loving, and can be sweet as can be when it suits her. She is also ridiculously stubborn, extremely vocal when it comes to not getting her way, a professional tantrum thrower, has a bit of a violent streak, and can swing from mood to mood with not much notice. I love her spunk, but sometimes I just have to breathe ten times, close my eyes and repeat "this is just a phase, this is just a phase". A phase that started at about 13 months and is still going strong, but I'm not giving up hope yet.

So where was I? Oh yes, my daughter being the Britney spears of her daycare and refusing boycotting underwear. (Since she's also very curious about boy/girl differences right now, I am a bit worried – but that's another story). So okay, I can let this go, fine don't wear them.

Now she refuses to wear pants. We try on EVERY SINGLE PAIR OF PANTS she has, and she insists that each of them is either too small, too big, or gives her a wedgie.

And now even putting on her socks is a 10 minute ordeal as she insists they "aren't right" or are "on the wrong foot" (WTF???). My dad is watching her this week and I get a call beginning with "Okay, what's up with the socks thing?"

I've tried telling her to fix them, to pick out different pants or different socks, and no matter what approach I take, it always ends in a complete meltdown. Last night she spent 35 minutes at the top of the stairs yelling down at me to fix her pants, while we all just ignored her.

I am a veteran parent. I've been doing this for over twelve years. I've been stumped before, but who would've thunk it would be undergarments that would finally have me beat?

No comments:

Post a Comment